From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:03:03 -0500
On  7 Dec 97 at 0:17, Stewart Beattie wrote:

> seems to be experiencing. Would question if it,s the bees that have
> become resistant, could it be that the mite has developed into a
> less damaging strain only showing symptoms when the bees are
> suffering from other problems. It would be interesting to here from
> hives, going down with varroa show acarine problems?

From experience in our breeding, there are levels of resistance to
T-mites. In a previous post I reported the sheer overwhelming numbers
of mites, to bees that have no mites at all.
        Possibly, by natural selection, the bees have become resistant
(tolerant) to T-mites. Provided they are below certain numbers, then
there would be no economic disadvantage to finding mites. It's only
when the bees become so infested as to not function efficiently that
concerns arise. Then of course, financial returns, or lack of,
warrant the use of medication.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171