From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 15:46:24 -0500
In a message dated 97-10-22 20:43:17 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Robert A.
Roach) writes:

<< The bumblebee is a more efficient pollinator than Apis mellifera.  They
start earlier, work later and visit more flowers per bee.  They also
"sonicate" or buzz the flowers which releases more pollen. >>

   The statement is true for individual bees, but needs to be qualified. On
curcurbits each bumblebee is worth about 3 honeybees. They are very fuzzy and
brawney, so they are more efficient as they push their way into the flower.
(Good pollination is not accomplished by a single visit of either. I'd like
to see 7-8  visits by a bumblebee or 20 by a honeybee.)

    But bumblebees nest in colonies of 50-150. Honeybees nest in colonies of
20,000 to 30,000. So there is definitely a quantitative advantage on the
honeybee side. Honeybees also show fidelity to one species of plant, and they
communicate to other bees where the goodies are, so their pollinator value
increases. Bumblebees will happily go from dandelion to apple blossom. And
they do not tell others where to go. They are very haphazard, with each
worker going off on her own.

   Both are important pollinators, and we need both. But I couldn't let go by
a blanket statement about bumblebees being more efficient. Each has strengths
and weaknesses.

   There are some (I think delusional) folks who are gleefully rejoicing over
the problems that honeybees are having. They think this will lead to a
marvelous resurgeance of the wild native bees, and everything will be hunky
dory with agriculture again. I think actual experience with commercial crop
pollination, under contemporary conditions would cure them.

   We need to learn to manage, enhance, and protect ALL pollinators from
pesticide misuse and the other threats they face. Honeybee keepers who are
involved in pollination ought to be also studying up on, and maybe involved
in, the culture of other pollinators. And those who are rooting for native
bees, should not be trying to shut out the honeybee keepers and take pot
shots at them. We are natural allies.

   Bob, I'm not accusing you of this. I just want the beekeepers to be aware
that this outlook is around and seems to be growing.

[log in to unmask]        Dave Green    Hemingway, SC  USA
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html