From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:33:35 -0500
>Where can I buy bee escapes such as the Porter Bee Escapes that were
>discussed?

For anyone else who might be interested -- there is another type of
"bee-escape" available, which is IMO far superior to the Porter design, and
which I have been using with greatest success. It is sometimes referred to
as a "triangle-escape board", or "Canadian clearer board."

Basically, it is a thin plywood board with a 1/2" rim on both sides.  In
the center is a ~ 2" diameter hole.  The bees pass down from the supers
through this hole and into a "maze" on the other side, triangular in shape,
which is covered with screen.  The only exits are at the corners of the
triangle, which the bees find easily, and they are directed into the hive
bodies below.  They do not go back up into the supers, however, as the
"maze" prevents them from reaching the hole in the board again.  Difficult
to describe, but simple in design, easy to build, no moving parts, etc.

There is (only) one bee supplier currently offering these (I think), which
is Beterbee, in Greenwich, NY, near the VT border.  If you purchase one
(~$10 or thereabouts) you can very easily copy the pattern to make your
own.

They work like a charm.  The Porter bee escapes, in my experience have not
been nearly as reliable.  They have to be fit into an inner-cover, often
get gummed up, & can also become clogged by dead bees or drones.

Anyway, check it out if you might be interested.  I have found these boards
to be a real time- and work-saver.

Best wishes,

J. Govostes
Freeville, NY