From:
aweinert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 08:21:31 +0000
> Date:          Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:08:42 -0700
> From:          Andy Nachbar <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Re: Wintering Requirement and feeding

> So much talk of oils, (lipids), and the such for mite suppression it is a
> wonder that someone has not looked at those natural oils found in pollens,
> such as corn, safflower, and many others from the health view of those
> lucky hives. Would not surprise me to find that bees in some areas of the
> world that do not have mite or reduced mite problems have an abundance of
> oil rich proteins available naturally. (Don't get all bothered about it,
> just a passing of the gass in the wind.)} Translation I would not get my
> hopes up as little has been done to study the areas that have varroa and
> report no problems because more then likely the loss from varroa is a
> combination of problems, and some areas may be most fortunate in not having
> the right combination to cause loss. (Like one or more common virus.) In
> any case corn oils are used to suppress mite populations by many beekeepers.

I have had a passing interest on this and have read in the Hive and
the honey bee that  cholesterol can help in brood production .

Does anyone know of ways to  add this to the diet or parries.  ?

The higherst easily obtainable  cocentration of  natural cholesterol
is in egg yolk from a limited survey  of books. ?

Does anypone  put this in their patties or is it just too expensive?

Also the recipe's for   bee food here in Australia include  Soy
flour.  Is this a waste of resources?

Regards

Andrew