From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:30:56 -0300
Joel:
        In the climate where I am, our winter temperatures are frequently very low
for extended periods of time.  It would seem that there would be  a
possibility of bees being unable to reach food before freezing, since they
must cluster around the queen to keep her warm and would have to leave the
cluster for food if there were an excluder present.    I imagine a
situation where the food is all gone below the excluder, and she can not
follow the workers to the food.  The main purpose of food supply over
winter is for  survival, so why take the chance?

        Eunice

        "From The Cradle of Confederation"