From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:17:36 -0600
> Before everyone starts writing programs, check out what is available.
> For Bee Management/Economics there is a program running under an Excel
> Spreadsheet available from Penn State University...

I guess I should mention that I use also MS Excel to keep records.  Having
done programming in my past, I can't really imagine custom written
software that would suit all -- or even most -- beekeepers.  Spreadsheets
are easily modified on the fly so that they are not constricting, and are
capable of handling reasonably large arrays of data.

I change my spreadsheets regularly to reflect the information that I
consider important at the time, adding and deleting columns and rows as
the spirit moves me.  I keep the previous versions  -- before changes --
to ensure historical information can be found later if desired.

Excel and similar high end spreadsheets are good in that columns and rows
can be hidden so that only the currently relevant info is shown, yet the
other info is still there and can be shown or concealed in any of several
different different 'views'.

To mention only a few features, I have a calculated column that shows the
supers per hive ratio in each yard during flows to detect those that might
have been shortchanged when the crew ran out of boxes on the truck.  I
also have columns that show the winter survival, yield per hive and splits
made from each yard to help track relative profitability and trends. So
far I do not use macro or reporting capabilities, but they are there if I
want them and the sheets grow and change over time.

Each week, or when we have completed a round, I update the sheets from the
printed copies my crews carry and write on, and add or hide columns if new
tasks are coming up, then print a fresh copy (three  8-1/2 X 14 sheets)
for each crew.  Colours denote each foreman, so it is easy to see the
source of any information and, if necessary discuss any problems.

I guess I could chat more about this when time permits if anyone is
interested and even produce some samples or a screen shot at some point.

Allen
---
You can search the BEE-L archives by sending email to
[log in to unmask] saying
SEARCH BEE-L topic
Substitute a key word or two for the word 'topic' above
Try it -- You'll Like it!
---