From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:33:49 -0700
Paul Cronshaw, D.C. wrote:

> Has anyone on this list had success with using a sticky Board to sample Mite populations?

        Yes, this is a fairly standard method and as far as I know the most
sensistive. You use an Apistan strip for every 5 frames of bees. If there are
mites you will have some on the board by the next day. Actually , if there are
many mites , you will probably see some in within 15 minites.

> Are there other quick and easy ways to sample mites?  Ether in a jar Method?

        Either roll is much easier but not as sensitive. This is the method I use
to get an idea of what the levels are. It does not require a return visit to the
apiary.