From:
Wilhelm E Kaosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 02:09:56 EDT
After reading several simplistic rationalizations like...
... so if we don't like what is on them we can turn the knob all
>the way to  the left. WHEN CENSORSHIP THRIVES THE RIGHT TO FREE SPECH IS
DEMINISHED ALONG WITH  OTHER RIGHTS I HOLD DEAR!!
       ...I REALLY began to be offended.

Of COURSE, the best response to the original bit of barnyard humor was to
ignor it but the vigorous DEFENSE of material that was not only crude but
outside the perameters of the list subject---makes that an abrogation of
responsibility.

The reason censorship happens is because of irresponsibility.
Unfortunatly, the 'net will not be as free as it might have remained
because of irresponsible purveyors of smut. No one particularly cares if
perverts want to huddle in some private corner but those who delight in
such things seem driven to foist them on others,(misery loves company,
one supposes). No-one has a RIGHT to be offensive, however!

One reads Bee-L expecting to see certain things there and the item in
question was a word  picture  that had nothing to do with the list.
Normally THAT alone would be sufficient to merit a warning but with the
added dimension of sexual connotations the knee-jerk defense of
titillating imagry by the more libertarian of our membership seems to
have brushed all reason aside.

The material was IRRELEVANT to the list AND offensive on top of it. That
some folks on the list are intellectual lightweights in thrall to the
rationalizations of the pornographers of the world is unfortunate but let
them not speak for the general listmembership.

On Suckling Jokes-L the material might've been appropriate---but I add my
voice to those besieged folks who've dared to point out the obvious
inappropriatness of such material on the Bee List. Bee-L is not meant for
such material and posting it is an abrogation of the contract implied in
the introduction to the list. Defending and encouraging it is worse
though---THAT is destructive of the order and co-operation required on a
list with such a large and varied membership.

...Stuart
(Stuart Grant,(49degrees N; 123 degrees, 20 min W; elevation 20m; Strait
of Georgia 2k; rural urban combination  in temperate rainforest setting;
5 colonies ---3rd year)