From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 22:09:27 +0900
In my post yesterday I said:

The ABC and XYZ states that where the honey is at risk of fermentation
occurring, heating to 160 degrees Fahrenheit will kill the yeasts that feed
the fermentation process and the honey will then remain in a stable
condition with no further danger of fermentation occurring.

I overlooked the fact that freezing the honey will also kill the yeasts.  As
the honey, the subject of this thread, has been frozen, heating to 160
degrees Fahrenheit should not be necessary and the honey could now be stored
at room temperature.

The question of extracting unripe honey is important.  As we visit apiaries
on a monthly basis removing any sealed honey, we frequently come across
combs that the bees are still finishing.  Fresh nectar has a glistening
effect due to the moisture content.  We use the same test as another
contributor to this thread, of a sharp shake of the frame over the hive.
Ripe honey will not shake out - fresh nectar will create a minor deluge.
Remembering that bees remove 80% of the moisture content in the ripening
process, it is important to allow time for them to finish.  It is rare for
us to remove every frame in a super.  Unfinished frames are put back in the
centre of the box as bees will work from the centre out, and the honey will
be ready for us on our next apiary visit.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]