From:
Eric Ellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:56:14 PDT
Hello all,
I'm a hydrologist in Tucson, Arizona doing development work in Latin
America.  My company, which specializes in design and construction of
subsurface flow constructed wetlands for wastewater treatment, is
increasingly trying to incorporate micro-enterprise opportunities into our
wastewater treatment systems.  We were recently shortlisted for a grant to
development a constructed wetland in Mexico that will grow mesquite
seedlings (for eventual use as firewood, fodder and landscaping) and gourds
(for the hand-tooled crafts market).  Because we will have an abundance of
flowering vegetation we intend to establish a couple of trial beehives as
well and have contracted with a Mexican ag. extension service to provide
that expertise.  While all untreated wastewater will be below ground and
protected by a 6" gravel cap some concern has nonetheless been raised about
the sanitation issues related to apiculture and wastewater.  In particular,
the editors of the Journal of Environmental Health to whom I have submitted
an article on the project, report anecdotal evidence of problems with
contaminated honey, particularly honey originating from Mexico.  Are any of
you aware of such a history or such problems?  A search of the internet has
yielded little so far, other than your list's address.  Any help that any
of you might be would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Eric Ellman
Environmental Compliance International
P.O. Box  85073