Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:31:29 -0400
Allen Dick asks for references on measuring body protein.

There has been a lot of work done in Australia on the protein content of our
various pollens.  This has been funded by our Honeybee Research and
Development Council.  It has been the case that certain pollens that were
thought to be alright have turned out to be deficient in certain amino acids.
We have a general deficiency of iso-leucine in most of our eucalypt pollens.

There have been several projects which look at the body protein in certain
areas.  There has been work done on looking at the body protein when certain
pollens are coming in.  The pollen was also checked.

The reference used to measure body protein was:-

McKenzie, H. and Wallace, H.  (1954).  The Kjeldahl determination of
nitrogen. Aust. Jour. Chem.  7 : 55.

Allen, if your librarian in Canada cannot get a copy, let me know and I will
source a copy for you.  Also, if you are interested in a copy of some of the
trials, let me know and I photocopy one for you.

When I was on the Honeybee Research and Development Council, we recognised
that there needed to be a lot of work carried out on pollen protein
determination.  I believe it was worthwhile and has raised the awareness of
beekeepers.  Many are now supplementary feeding to overcome deficiencies in
some of our pollens.

Hope this helps.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA