From:
"Paul Cronshaw, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 12:23:57 -0700
Greg,

If you don't want to give yourself extra work of chopping down a tree
(unless you need the fire wood) or stripping the siding off a house and
rebuilding it, then I would recommend using the wire cone/bait hive method.

I have used this method on houses and trees with great success.  In fact I
am currently taking a nice colony out of an oak tree.  Takes about 6- 8
weeks and the colony builds up really quickly because 2 queens are laying.
Make sure you seal up the house and tree so that there is not an
infestation next year.  I use wire, cement or the insulation material that
comes in spray cans.

This method also saves a feral hive from eventual destruction by the mite.

Good luck.

Paul Cronshaw DC
Cyberchiro and Hobbyist Beekeeper
Santa Barbara, CA  USA