From:
Jørn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:53:31 +-200
I was foolish enough to try your original software for Win 3.11.  Then a few
hours later I read your post of your programing error.  I too had the "newer
version of Windows required error"

Yes and I am very sorry to hear that. I have to explain that closer to you so that you can understand what happened.

It is not my program coursing the trouble! But one *.dll I have copied from my windows\system directory. Closer explained it is the OLE2.DLL which is a Microsoft product. This was also supplied by the original windows install. But
Then a Danish beekeeper called me and claimed that he was missing a file for the program to run, so to help him out I send him the files he needed. He then told me that now the software was running as expected.

I the decided to deliver this files with the software to be sure that then calls for not working would stop. And so it did. But and that is what I am sorry about is, that those files I delivered were files from a new win.3.11 I had installed. Some people told me about this troubles that coursed for a lot of people trying to run this software of mine. Normally new software should be better than old ones, and so it is also with this *.DLL but only when the windows is designed for it.

The step I took was to create a new APPSETUP.INF where I commented the files out that coursed this error. and I send it to you here, so that you can try the program. I have tested the install with this file replaced, on a neighbors computer, which newer have seen my software before, promising him, that if it fails we should drink a whole box of beers together. His windows was an early win 3.1. The software installed and showed up as normal like  on my own computer, so I have reason to think that the new APPSETUP.INF solved the problem.

another problem, and this is a programming error I made, is that if a wlang.countrycode for your country is not present, then you will get the error

listindex out of bounce and an error message telling you  unknown database alias DATA. I didn't trap this error, but it is harmless and is solved in the following way :

select tools\select language  and then choose the language you prefer. then close down Bidata, and the error is solved so that you can run it normally.

 and had to reinstall Windows as most other Microsoft progarams would not work because your program corrupted Windows.

In fact the only thing you had a need to reinstall was windows, but that is of course bad enough.
 How many other people had the same problem?

I think a lot of pure 3.1 users, and I again apology for this.
 I don't think I'll
try the program again as I already learned a valuable lesson about trying
software from the Internet.

The language support will the be solved. I better tell you, that it was no way my intention to harm your Joy using your computer, I am not that kind of person.

Best regards to you and family and again sorry for the trouble I coursed.

http://home4.inet.tele.dk/apimo/appsetup.inf

replace the old one in bidat31 installation with this.

regards Jorn Johanesson