From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:37:00 -0500
>>Barry Birkey tokk this from sci ag.......

>Charles
>    I used 1 quart jars with a boardman feeder on the biggest part of my
>hives.  Some I used a top feeder.  I lost bees (hive is empty of bees)
>using both methods.  I used 1 cc of wintergreen per qt. sugar syurp.  I
>ordered the oil from Lorann Oils of Lansing Mi.  I treated my hives for

>scrounging feed around the Honey house.  All I know is I will use Apistan
>from now on.  Costly but lesson learned.

I predicted this would happen!
         When James Amrine (http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa.htm)  put the
essential oils info to the 'net', he stressed the 3 methods of administering
essential oils all went hand in hand. It would not be succesful if only one
method was used.
        This person used one method, in syrup, and was partially wrong to
use syrup in a hive top feeder. Until someone who has used it correctly over
a period of time comes along to tell us it doesn't work, then I suggest we
keep an open mind.
        Comments?
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *