From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 16:09:52 -0500
On 22 May 97 at 12:28, Harvey Hyde wrote:

> If I split my two BC's and allow the queenless half to raise its own
> queen, why is it recommended to destroy any started cells after four days?
>  Wouldn't this force the workers to raise the queen from still older larva?

They don't just start one cell. If you examine a frame where cells
are being built you will find a variety of ages of larvae and cells
under construction. Obviously the older ones are removed to prevent
scrub or intercastes, while the ones of correct age go on to produce
good quality queens.
        I do have quite an article on my hard drive dealing with this, if
you wish I will post it.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171