From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:39:53 -0600
Greetings -

Well the first real day for pollen gathering has arrived here in Northern Illinois with
temps in the upper 60's and cloudless skies. The frenzy at the hive entrances tells the
story. Pollen cakes the size of 5 gallon buckets (in human equivalents) protrude from
the legs in various shades of yellow to orange to tan. Every bee at the entrance
displays a focused intent on "the mission". In coming and out going flights meet with
constant collision with incoming bees landing on top of each other creating a tower till
finally they all roll over from the precarious perch.

The maples have opened their blossom and the willow and pussy willow are close behind.
I thought I'd broadcast the news as the Southeasterners (usa) on this list always get
to the Spring announcement first :>) I think I'll take the rest of the day off as
tomorrow we get rain. Still waiting to see the first drone.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA