From:
"Paul Cronshaw, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 23:58:04 -0700
Ian,

Welcome to the world of BEE-REMOVAL.

Of your 3 choices I would opt for the first one - the cone/bait hive
technique. I have done a number of this form of bee removals over the
years.  They are surprisingly effective and a means to increase a nuc hive
quicky due to 2 laying queens.  Problem is that it leaves a dead colony and
deserted wax and honey inside the wall which can break off and drop down
into the firewalls and soak throug the plaster. Wax moths and ants will
take care of the rest.  You can let the new colony rob it out.  DOn;t
forget to patch the hole so it will not entice future swarms.

Re #2 Removing the fascia. If you are a carpenter and the owner has no
problem in your removing the outside wall, then this can be effective bee
removal method.  You will get all the bees, wax and honey out thereby
preventing any damage from dripping honey eminating from wax month destoyed
combs. Problem can be finding the queen, she may move up into an attic or
other part of thehouse that is inaccessible without major demo.  Have a bee
vac on hand helps.

Re: 3:  Taking out the inside plaster wall is the least desirable avenue
IMO because there will be bees filling the living room and attracted to the
windows or lights.   Make sure you have a shop vac or bee vac on hand to
suck up the ones who escape into the room.  YOu could always ward off the
section that you are working with a taped ceiling to floor plastic tarp.
Also are you a good plasterer or drywaller?

Good luck in this project. Remember someone told me that "bees in a house
means the house is blessed".  BTW Does anyone know the source of this
belief?

Paul Cronshaw DC
Santa Barbara, CA USA