From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 12:49:32 -0400
Hi all

I was called the other day by someone with bees in their house.  They
appear to be going in through a small opening in the corner of the brick at
the top corner of a livingroom window.  I went inside and used the highly
scientific method of holding a drinking glass up to the wall with my ear at
the other end and listened to the wall to the side of the window and heard
buzzing in quite a large area.  I'm not sure if that was bee noise from
higher up being carried lower by the plaster wall, or that the bees had
filled the entire area between the studs (I am leaning towards the latter).
So far I have learned that there are a couple of options at this point: 1)
attach a cone of screening to the colony entrance and attach a brood box
with top, bottom and a frame of brood, very close to the cone and wait for
the bees to emigrate; 2) take off the Facia which is right above this
window and hope that the bees are really in there and not the wall below;
3) remove the plaster wall and take out the comb, bees, etc that way.
I'm sure this has been the topic of Bee-Line at least once before, but I
was wondering if there were any points I have missed?
Thanks,
Ian

Ian Watson
real estate agent    gardener    homebrewer    baritone
beekeeper-->  5 hives, 5 nucs on order