From:
"Bob St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 07:10:58 -1000
On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>   I would appreciate some input on this problem.  A friend of mine, new to
>beekeeping, has experienced quite a bit of itching when stung.  The last
>time, though, she could not remove the sting quickly and broke out in hives
>in parts of the body removed from the sting site.
>
>   Justin Schmidt's treatment of allergic reactions to stings in THE HIVE
>AND THE HONEY BEE indicated that such a reaction is not life-threatening.
>On the other hand, losing sleep all night can be quite disconcerting.
>
>   My question:   Have any of you had such an experience?  If so, did your
>body chemistry adapt and allow you to continue to receive stings without
>adverse effect?

Adrian:
        My first wife developed rashes and itching and soon after that it
developed into life-threatening allergy. I would suggest tht your friend check
with an allergist right away.

        I know a lot of women involved with bees develope allergic reactions
(especially after having a few children).

        I suspect that if your friend gets stung enough she will get over those
reactions. My mother swelled up terribly when she first began with bees but
after a while she had no reaction and worked full time in the queen raising.

        I have known sevral full time beekeepers who were allergic. I once met a
father and son from Nevada who were both allergic. They simply proteced
themselves from stings at all times.

                Aloha                   Bob