From:
"James C. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:28:57 -0400

>Date:    Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:49:05 -0600
>From:    Garrett Dodds <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pierco Plastic Frames and Foundation
>
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if anyone has used the Pierco Plastic Frames and
>Foundation?  What are their pros and cons?  How are they compared to wooden
>frames?

I think that one pro of using Pierco is the labor reduction vs wood frame
assembly, wiring and foundation insertion. Another is the fact that the
bees use these frame well - I often see brood in Pierco frames side to side
and top to bottom.   Con is cost and the fact that bees build burr comb on
top of the plastic frames.  I have some Pierco frames mixed in my outfit
and anytime I am attempting to separate two brood chambers and I find them
badly stuck together, it is because there are one or more Pierco frames in
the bottom brood chamber that the bees have connected to the bottom frames
of the upper chamber with burr comb.  This is enough of a problem for me
that I don't plan to purchase more.  BTW, this burr comb thing is not
related to the wrong size space between the brood chambers.  Side by side,
with wood no burr comb, but with plastic, always burr comb.

Jim King, Rieglesville, PA