Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
MIKE ALLSOPP <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:40:34 GMT+2
Hi all

Recent listings requested more info on the weather. So, to all you
freezing Northern Hemisphere types, I'm sorry to say that it is a
sweltering 40 degrees C at the moment on the southern tip of Africa.

This heat has undoubtedly frizzled what little common-sense I ever
had, as I am about to (briefly) enter the very regrettable Pedro
Rodriquez - James Satterfield debate.

I could launch a defence on the virtues of the rigorous rules
pertaining to scientific publications, but will limit myself to
commenting that (rightly or wrongly) the scientific community for the
last thousand years, now, and for as long as this planet lasts, -
will always be cautious about new information or ideas. And will only
accept them after thorough peer review, and after independent
corroborative evidence. The system is slow and often annoying, but in
the long term it works well. The jingle to sell the most popular beer
in South Africa is "it has stood the test of time". Ditto for good
science.

So Pedro, if you have good results, publish them and allow them to be
judged. If you choose not to do so, they do not exist, and will never
exist, no matter how many posts are sent to this list. Come on, this
is a fantastic opportunity. Prove that the scientific community are
the pampered fools that you clearly think they are. Publish and prove
how blind and lazy and selfish we are. Allow all the scientists AND
beekeepers out there the opportunity to see how important your
results are. Or else, please shut up.

Last little comment. All these great, industry-saving results are (we
are told) to be circulated to benefit the industry. And all the years
of toil were done for the sake of the researcher-forsaken beekeeper.
But relax, the saviour for Joe Beekeeper has now arrived. Well Pedro,
if your results are worth something, and it was all done out of
concern for beekeepers, why don't you immediately post your results
and solutions to this list to save the thousands of colonies and
hundreds of beekeepers that you have convinced us that you have
answers for. Why only talk about it, why only promises? Methinks this
is all for Pedro Beekeeper.

And now I am quilty of all those things this list has recently been
criticized for - verbosity, personal attacks etc. And like James
Satterfield, I promise, never again.

Vanquished, and meekly departing

Mike Allsopp

Mike Allsopp                            tel    (27)(21) 887-4690
Honeybee Research Section               fax    (27)(21) 883-3285
Plant Protection Research Institute     pmail  plant3/vredma
Agricultural Research Council           email  [log in to unmask]
P/Bag X5017
Stellenbosch 7599
South Africa