From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 19:09:32 -0500
I haven't kept bees since Jr. High, when I took over my grandfather's three
hives after his death, but today I ordered two complete hives and two extra
deep supers from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm.

The question is: can I stain the exterior surfaces with a good wood stain
and use marine-quality polyurethane coating over that rather than the
standard white latex paint treatment? Or is there something in the spar
varnish or stain that repels bees?

Thanks for any and all help. I've only been lurking for a few days (though
I did read a year's worth of archives), but this looks like a great list.
The FAQ is a bit off-putting in its description, though. It makes the list
sound far less practically-oriented than it really is.

Greg

Greg Hankins                       Montgomery Herald
[log in to unmask]                    Mt. Gilead, NC