From:
Rick Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 08:14:28 +0000
Concerning placement of foundation, I found it interesting that even those
very experienced were trying to find the magic answer.  I have found that
the right  placement of foundation within the hive seems to be as varied as
the conditions under which the bees themselves are operating - strength of
hive, weather, nectar and pollen conditions to name just a few..  I have
only so far figured out that I do not yet know which is the "best" method.
I have had both successes and failures with side placed foundation.  The
failures involved either limiting the hive because the foundation did not
get drawn or because the bees filled the comb in process with honey before
the comb was finished enough for the queen to get to it.  Other times, it
worked "as it was supposed to".  I have also had success and failures with
center placed foundation - when it works, the hive draws it out quickly and
it builds hive space and strength rapidly.  When it fails, it tends to slow
down the hive because it splits the brood nest and slows down egg
production.  I have also had successes and failures with individual placings
of foundation within the hive for swarm control.  This discussion has helped
me realize that my lack of figuring out why it worked or didn't work seems
to be normal.  I will try to be more observant in the future and see if I
can't figure out under which conditions the various placements will work.

Rick Grossman
Portland (Western-Wet), Oregon