From:
John Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:48:56 -0800
At 12:35 AM 1/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>[log in to unmask] wrote:
>>
>> David Eyre wrote:
>> >
>> > If I may be so bold. This method is not a breeding program. The idea is to
>> > attract *already mature* adults which are ready to breed. I reiterate,
>> > when the cell is sealed it is removed from the hive.
                     >snip<
>> >         This is a discussion group! Comments!

>> In my opinion, David is rightly describing the life/breeding cycle of
>> the varroa mite.
       >snip<
>> Ted Fischer
>> Dexter, Michigan USA

>Dear beekeepers and Bee-L recipients:
      >snip<
It is impossible to prevent spread of those mites under any
>circunstance. Beekeepers ought to be concerned with erradicating Varroa
>and should earnestly avoid any situation which might give "the little
>red devils" an edge! Please let's not forget common beekeeping
>knowledge! The two examples I mentioned above are enough to warrant
>looking for a safer method!
>Regards.
>Dr. Pedro Rodriguez
>Virginia Beach, Virginia USA

Who said anything about not looking for a safer method? I think David Eyre
hit the nail on the head "this is a discussion group". I doubt anyone wants
to "give 'the little red devils' an edge" and we would all welcome a more
stringent protocol for control / elimination. I don't think it fair to
chastise the group for discussing a plan of attack using the tools at hand.
Now, if there were more effective tools/ideas available that anyone may like
to share with us (he says while glancing in the general direction of
Virginia Beach)........well, it may be a different story but I haven't run
across anything. Being on Vancouver Island I have yet to have to deal with
mites first hand but I find the discussions most interesting and educational
and would not wish to see anyone stifled just because he/she didn't have the
golden bullet loaded and ready to fire - discuss on!

Cheers, John

John P. Volpe
Centre for Environmental Health
Dept. of Biology - University of Victoria
PO Box 3020, Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA  V8W 3N5

TEL. (250) 721 7098 or (250) 472-4067 (message)
FAX. (250) 472 4075
Email [log in to unmask]

"Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than
speech." Martin Farquhar Tupper (1810-1889)