From:
JANET MONTGOMERY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 20:23:54 -0500
I also have used ammonium nitrate to calm an especially aggressive hive so I
can work on it -- I read this in one of the bee magizines 5-10 years ago--
use only a small amount, 1 teaspoon per smoker , placed on top of the fuel
as to much can be harmful to the bees. I don't do this often but it does
seem to work when I want to work with the girls and they really don't wish
to be bothered.
  Dan Veilleux  Columbus , Ohio