From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 21:54:00 GMT
TS>    New beekeepers should remember that many of the old-timers on this
  >newslist used gloves when they began keeping bees.

Hi Tim,

Not all old-times started with gloves, I never used gloves as a
newbee, and I got my first job in the commercial bees because like a
crazy high school kid I was when I spotted a beekeeper working in his
bees I had the school bus stop and went over to see what he was doing
with out any thought of showing any fear of the bees or the punishment
I was going to get. I took a little punishment that day because I had
low top shoes on and the bees liked my dirty socks for sure. But I did
get my first opportunity to work in the bee's for a large family of
commercial beekeepers and stayed with it until I had enough bees of my
own to support myself and keep me off the streets. Even at $35.00 a week
it only took about 8 years. I also got my first pair of work boots
shortly after starting in the bees.<G>

  >And many of us will use gloves if gloves will keep us from getting
  >a lot of stings.  If I had to hive

  >    Many of us are able to work the bees on sunny days when the bees are bus
  >working.  At these times, gloves may not be necessary and working without
  >gloves is easier (and cooler in hot weather).

I use a good smoker and hive tool and normally only have a baseball cap
covering the skin on my head. BUT I always take my bee hat and veil out
of the truck when I light the smoker and have it ready if needed. I also
keep a pair of dill gloves in each truck and some time use special bee
gauntlets that protect the arms, wrists, and the back of the hands.
I gave up on the fancy leather gloves after finding out that the mice
love to eat on them in the winter and the holes they leave offer little
protection from the bees. Believe it or not a few years ago I needed a
veil real bad and was I surprised to find after carrying it around for
years the screen had rotted away. I guess I had spilled my water jug on
it one too many times or something.

I also keep a spare veil, hive tool, and smoker in each truck as nothing
spoils a good bee day like when you forget one or the other in the last
bee yard twenty miles back down the road.

I can assure all that there are several areas of the US that not to have
a veil on and a good smoker that works invites a real hot time in the
bees. The south west desert rat and northern Mexico beekeepers actually
pride themselves on the temper of their bees and will tell you that it
keeps down the bee thefts, and this was 50 years ago as true as it is
today with the advent of the so called "Tex-Mex" bee, you know the one's
from Egypt but not Africa.<G>

                               ttul, OLd Drone

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ "Where there are fruits & nuts, there are beekeepers"