From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 07:39:21 +0100
<< What is everyone's opinion on the best time of day to go into the hive?
I have one hive that is somewhat aggressive about defending the home!  I
know that right before a approching storm is not a good time and that I
should always take off my black watch.<

Firstly, why suffer an aggressive colony unless you like an element of
combat.  Re-queen.  In any case always check such a colony last in line.
Checking it first can lead to it upsetting all the apiary.  Ideally choose a
time when nectar is flowing and the foragers are on the wing, for me usually
in the early afternoon.  There may be times when you need to inspect when no
nectar is flowing.  Even the best of bees can be troublesome at this time,
quick to defend.  Never prop the first comb out at the side of the hive, a
common fault.  Put it in a nucleus box and close down.  Exposed combs and
dripping honey will quickly set up robbing and then you are in big trouble.
A weak sugar feed a day or two before the inspection has a calming effect,
as does a weak sugar spray (never honey) over the top bars while inspecting.
If you have neighbours, become aware of the rising note of resentment and
the banging on the veil.  Then is the time to close down quickly and await a
better day.  Over a lifetime I have seen many promising beekeeping careers
brought to a hasty end because the beekeeper did not heed the warnings the
bees always give before they boil over and start stinging in earnest.
Sid P.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England