From:
G C Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:37:46 GMT
Steve Pearce wrote:

> When enquiring about my worries about Varroa introduction into my so =
far
>"clean" area, I was told there was no risk.  Is this correct, or should =
I be stirring
>up a "hornets nest" about  this.

I  bought a postal queen from a Scottish supplier in 1993 and was surpris=
ed to
find a York postmark on the packet, in those days Varroa was well south =
of York
- I heard recently that it has reached Kendal!

The theory on sending queens from within the SIA is that they are treated=
 with
Apistan or Bayvarol before postage and this prevents any live mites being=

transmitted.  I would prefer not to take the risk on mites, and what abou=
t viruses
that are supposed to follow Varroa attacks, they are not affected by acar=
icides?

I see that there is a supplier advertising Queens in Newcastleton in last=
 month's
Scottish Beekeeper, that is North of the Statutory Infected Area, perhaps=
 he can
solve your problem.

Geoff Allison
Dalbeattie, Scotland