From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 07:51:49 -0500
I made up 20 nucs yesterday with newly-sealed queen cells.  Then we had a
cold air mass move in - it got down near 40 (or below) last night.  After
all that work, now I'm quite concerned - are my queens doomed?

Some of the cells were at the bottom of the brood combs.  I fear that they
might have gotten too chilled, being at the bottom of the hives near the
entrances.  The nucs were not very populous, maybe three frames of bees.
Does anyone have any idea whether the queens would die, develop abnormally,
or just take longer to develop in cool conditions?  I do not know if the
bees in the nucs would "know" to cluster on the q cells, either.  This cool
weather is getting annoying - very abnormal for this time of year; the
black locusts are barely opening leaves yet!  Thank you for any info.   --
Joel