From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 23:22:07 -0600
> My sympathies Allen,
>                             I realize what a job 800 swarms sounds
> like.(And I grouse about 4-5!) My for what its worth,I always
> directly release the queens when installing and so far (knock on
> wood) have had no problems with swarming. I have installed in the
> morning, afternoon & evening and in cool cloudy weather, warm sunny
> weather, & lots in between.My humble opinion is it perhaps DID have
> something to do with the packing & shipping distance.Perhaps the
> bees were disoriented and simply decided to get some exercise before
> setting up shop.Anyway good luck with this batch, sounds as though
> they have a personality all their own.

Yeah, Mike.  I really did't know what hit me, but it sure was a sick
feeling.  I just about threw up (excuse me, my sensitive friends)
when I saw what had happened.  However soon my sense of humour
returned and I started to appreciate this $57,870 joke. (Ha ha).(Good
thing it was only Canadian dollars).

Actually when the dust settled, I guess only 5 or 6 queens went out,
but they drew quite few friends from the neighbouring hives!  After
we equalise, I think the loss will only be $2,500 or so.

Funny thing was that when I work these bees, I find that for so many
hives, the bees are calm and normal, then I hit a bunch in  a row
that are hot, agressive, and show hostility to their queens (and me).

I can only conclude that the bees came from two different stocks, and
that they were bundled in groups in the shipment.  But then CO2 does
funny things to bees.  I understand it de-programs them.

As always when working with bees, I am mystified and humbled.  It is
a privilege to serve them and try to learn their many ways.

Thanks for assuring me that this is abnormal and I'm not losing my
mind.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>