Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Franklin D. Humphrey Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 00:28:06 GMT
Hi All

I think this discussion has pointed out something I read a long time ago
about mixing syrup for bees.  The mixture does not have to be exact as long
as attention is paid to their needs at any given time.  The bees are used to
nectar having different water contents.  They prefer high water content in
hot weather because it aids in hive cooling.  Lower water content is used
for rearing brood and very low for storage.  If heavy syrup is given and the
bees need it for food they will dilute it with water.  If light syrup is
given, they will dry it enough for food and if they don't need all of if
they will dry it enough to store.

To illustrate, for 1:1 I use a 3 gallons of sugar and 3 gallons of water.
Yield is about 4 1/2 gallons of syrup.  I use this for spring feeding.
During our August dearth, I mix 6 gallons of sugar with 3 gallons of water.
Yield is about 5 gallons.  The bee take this in and use it to draw new comb
and store for winter.  When they are well along in the drawing process.  I
start adding Fumidil and let them store it for the winter.

I don't think there is any right way or wrong way to mix so long as you are
in the ball park. The bees will ultimately adjust the water content for
themselves.

Frank Humphrey

Frank Humphrey