From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 01:06:38 -0400
In article <<[log in to unmask]>, you wrote:
>         I'd suggest the following:
> 1) close down the opening in the tree to one which can be covered with an
> inverted cone of window screening sticking out about a foot and 1/2 or so
> with the end of the cone reduced to allow the exit of a bee at a time.
> 2) securely position a full depth brood super ( with full covers, base etc.)
> high enough to be nearer to the old opening than the new opening at the end
> of that inverted cone of screen.  You might make a little 2x4 platform
> first.

Isn't this the standard method to remove a "nuisance" colony from, say, the
wall of a house, and it gets workers out but the queen is left behind and
eventually dies?  Not too useful if you want to propogate the colony.  How
do you get the queen into the hive body?

I have a similar situation.  Earlier this year I mentioned I knew of a colony
living in a run-down abandoned house.  When I went to check them this spring I
thought they were dead, they probably weren't mite resistant anyway.  This
obviously killed any plans to get them.  But I happened to take a look a couple
weeks ago and there were bees there! Either they weren't dead after all or
another swarm moved in.  Regardless I'd like to see if I can propogate them.

-Mike