From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:00:25 +0700
> [log in to unmask],Internet writes:
> We were initially putting lids back on hives that were complete
> (down to the two brood boxes), but had to remove them again because
> robbing started up.  Once all the lids were off, there was still *a
> bit* of robbing, but the bees settled right down, and stinging
> ceased.  Of course we put all the lids on  as we left the yard.
>     Allen,  can you explain this , please.

Well,  we thought the bees might get wet if we
didn't put them back on and it rained later:)

Seriously,  someone mentioned here some time back that a good way to
control robbing within a yard is to simply remove all the lids.

If the robbing comes from a nearby yard, then, I would think it would get
worse.

I really don't know why it works, but I can guess that it makes the
bees have to guard their own hive on a large front, and reduces their
interest in leaving the hive.  It also cools the hive, so the bees
need to cover the brood and control temperature.

It also disorganises the bees and they may have to re-orient.

The large area of exposed hive also provides more choice for bees to
visit and reduces the conditions that lead to fighting.

It is fighting that is the worst aspect of robbing, because many bees
are killed and bystanders can get badly stung.  Fighting does not
normally occur where there is a large area of food exposed.  Bees
normally start to fight when the supply runs out.

>     And, second, when you pull the supers off, are you breaking
>     honey-filled
> comb between the supers?

Yes.  The bees clean it up a bit as they leave.

>     (I try to turn the odd or even numbers supers 180 degrees, front
>     to back,
> at least a day before pulling them off to break this comb and let
> the bees clean it up.   Exposed honey gets my bees pretty excited.
>  I realise that a big operation doesn't have time to do this.)

Well, in that case, you might want to stack them up on a floor with
the entrance closed, tape the cracks, and put an escape board on top.
They'll usually be empty -- and the comb cleaned up when you return.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>