Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:20:51 -0700
At 04:09 PM 9/11/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I haven't tried this, but my Forest Service buddies tell me this homemade
>spray keeps flies and ticks at a distance:       2 cups white vinegar
>                        1 cup Avon Skin-so-soft bath oil
>                        1 cup water
>                        1 tablespoon eucalyptus oil

Ah --- yes! Skin-so-soft bath oil. Let me tell you a little story about it.

Several years ago I went with a group of folks to the Amazon jungle.
Expecting to be attacked by swarms of insects, I took along two bottles of
Deep Woods insect repellant. After using if for a few days on my exposed
skin, I started developing a rash everywhere the repellant touched. Also, if
I had it on my hands and then touched plastic (camera, tips of shoelaces,
poncho, belt, straps, etc.) the plastic melted and got all over my hands and
anything else I touched afterwards. Others had similar problems. It was a
real mess!

One other member of our group came to our rescue with the Skin-so-soft that
his wife had packed. All 10 of us used it for the rest of the trip, and
smelled wonderful. No insects biting, either. When we got home, my skin felt
great.

Incidentally, I had expected the mosquitos to be the worst of all, but they
weren't. It was the ants that hated us with a passion, and all of them bit
like fire ants, expecially the teeny ones. The ants didn't fly, of course,
but they did drop down on us if we touched hanging vines or tree limbs ----
makes me shiver just remembering them falling down inside my shirt. But I
survived.

I will have to try your spray on my next outing. It sounds like a good
repellant.

Betty B

>At 07:07 AM 9/9/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>At 08:26 AM 9/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>>Hey kids,
>>>        I often find ticks on me after working in the bee yards. I have
>>>heard that dusting your ankles with sulfer will help keep them off. Has
>>>anyone tried this or have any other repellants?
>>>
>>>Also, what tricks do you use to remove ticks once the have you to be their
>>>new home?
>>>
>>>Ticked off in Florida...
>>>
>>>God Bless,
>>>Kelley Rosenlund  [log in to unmask]
>>>Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A., Phone:352-378-7510
>>>200 hives, 1 year in beekeeping.
>>>

>>The same thing we use to get rid of chiggers works well for getting rid of
>>ticks: plain old Vicks Salve or Mentholatum Rub. Just dab it on the ticks
>>and they can't breath, so they let go. Camphor also works well by itself.
>>
>>Lots o' luck!
>>
>>Betty B

>Marcia Sinclair
>Writer & Editor
>Gresham, Oregon

We are like kids' art on God's refrigerator.
 -