From:
Bob Sanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 15:38:51 -4000
I would like someone to address any or all of the following questions
which I am posting for a friend.  Email me at [log in to unmask] or
post answers to the list.  Thank you.

Bob Sanford
Middleton, Nova Scotia

1.  The label states: "for best chemical distribution, use Apistan
strips when day-time temperatures are at least 10 degrees C.  Does
this mean not to use them when the average day is below 10 C (i.e.
late fall)?

2.  If it is alright to treat in the late fall with Apistan, would it
be possible to only treat for 10 days and still get an effective
treatment because of the broodless period that exists at that time?

3.  Would testing for varroa with Apistan strips and sticky boards be
effective over a 24-hour period if the average daytime temperature
was under 10 C (i.e. late fall)?

4.  There has been some discussion here (Annapolis Valley, Nova
Scotia) that the outside temperature shouldn't matter in the
effectiveness of the strips because the bees keep the inner
temperature of the hive constant (above 10 C).  If this is so, why
has the company included temperature information on the label?

Bob Sanford
Middleton, N.S.