From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 15:46:51 -0500
>Today I found some queen cells in on of my hives so I decided it was early
>enough in the season to split this colony.
>Here's what I did:
>Put the queen cell in the lower hive with all the field bees. Put the queen
>with 1/2 of the brood  above a double sceen board.
>Will this work?
>If not,  what is the easiest way to split hives with queen cells?
>Are there any queens shipping yet?
>THanks for input. This list is a great way to share information and solve
>problems.

As a first time I think you did well! A couple of points to, in my opinion,
improve. Offset the queen right hive to left or right, turn it 90 degrees to
standing hive, with all the brood, both sealed and open. This now simulates
a swarmed hive, as that's what it was about to do. If it was only one queen
cell in the middle of the frame, LEAVE IT ALONE!! That's a supercedure cell,
and it means they want a new queen. Too often new bee keepers panic and
remove them, now you'll have all sorts of problems!

   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *