From:
Jeffrey Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 1994 15:26:08 EDT
I converted over an existing hive (<1 year old queen) of Italians to ANP comb
and started a new hive with ANP a month or so ago.  Both queens are actively
laying eggs and workers are bringing in pollen & nectar.

One noticeable difference is that the existing hive with the 10 month old queen
seems to have many more (what I assume are) drone cells.  The majority of the
brood cells are fairly flat while the "drone" cells have a distinct domed cap.

The older hive has aprx. 50% of the capped brood cells as drones while the
newer hive is more like 10%

* Am I correct in my assumption that these are drone cells?
* Should I consider replacing the older queen as she is kicking out a high
percentage of non-worker bees?
* Is it usual for a <1 year old queen to start  laying so many non-worker bees?

Thanks in advance for the response.

jeff young - 2 hives in a Central MA backyard