From:
Rita Walczuch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1993 11:08:27 EDT
What ever happened to the idea that bees use the polarization of sun light to f
ind their way home?

I don't know how the following story relates to the ongoing discussion on bee o
rientation. However, I am sure it can tell us something about the way bees orie
nt themselves. Every bee keeper knows that when bee hives are moved over night,
 they have to be moved at least a certain distance (I believe >10 feet or so) o
r the bees don't realize that the hive has been moved when they leave it in the
 morning and return to the place where the hive used to be. Apparently they are
 not able to find their way back into the hive although it might just be 3 feet
 away. I think this is very interesting. How can it be explained by the various
theories on bee orientation?

Rita Walczuch

Rita Walczuch
Department of Management