Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Robert Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 1994 10:42:39 +1100
HI There,

        I was just wondering if anyone had observed gregarines
disease in bees and if so what their experiences where with this
disease. I have recently found a hive containing what I first
thought to be Nosema apis, however while the shape and length of
the spores were correct the spore had a grey cresent shape at
one end.

        I have since examined sections taken from bee gut using
transmission electron microscopy and am not completely sure as to
what internal structures are what. Based on a literature search,
it appears that little is known about these beasts. I found a
reference that describes four species in bees and a basic life
cycle but not much else. For instance, are they an economic
threat,  mode  of transmission between colonies and do gregarines
that parasitise bees have alternate hosts, etc.

        If anyone out there on the network has anything to add it
would be appreciated.

Robert Rice
CSIRO Division of Entomology,
Canberra, Australia.