From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:22:25 -0400
> In fact, it has been a driver of antibiotic resistance...

I'm not sure what a 'driver' is, but I thought that we had examined this back a decade or more and concluded that antibiotic use by beekeepers was not the likely the root cause of antibiotic resistant AFB, but rather a filter that suppressed non-resistant strains, allowing the resistant strains to predominate in specific areas.

Possibly these resistant strains are less fit in other regards and that has interesting implications.

As for the root cause of resistant AFB strains, do we know more now than we did then?

At the time it seemed probable that AFB was picking up resistance by exposure to already resistant bacteria in the agricultural environment.