From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:25:31 -0400
> Certainly the higher incidence of EFB and diminished presence of AFB seems to match other reports.

My thoughts, also.

EFB seems to be becoming a more virulent pathogen in some areas, especially with our friends up north.
What is it with blueberries?

> However, EFB was largely considered a self-limiting disease, in which clinical signs often spontaneously resolved  as the season progressed and feed availability and nursing bee populations increased. In contrast, reports from beekeepers indicated that colonies that acquired EFB during blueberry pollination did not recover when moved from blueberry fields into abundant flora, despite antibiotic treatment and widespread availability of pollen and nectar, which was inconsistent with the previously described self-limiting nature of EFB disease. Furthermore, there have been recent reports of more severe (sometimes called atypical) EFB disease in colonies pollinating blueberries. Interestingly, the apparent increase in prevalence of EFB has also been observed in colonies not exposed to blueberry pollination, including honey-producing colonies in the Canadian prairies.

Thebeau JM, Liebe D, Masood F, Kozii IV, Klein CD, Zabrodski MW, Moshynskyy I, Sobchishin L, Wilson G, Guarna MM, Gerbrandt EM, Simko E, Wood SC. Investigation of Melissococcus plutonius isolates from 3 outbreaks of European foulbrood disease in commercial beekeeping operations in western Canada. Can Vet J. 2022 Sep;63(9):935-942. PMID: 36060490; PMCID: PMC9377190.