From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:01:24 -0400
> leave the supers on until October

I have done this, it works. But the problem is: it's July now and there is honey to come off before the fall flow. We normally get a summer flow which ends about the end of July and then there is the fall flow, which can be quite copious.

In the past it was mainly goldenrod in September but in the last dozen years it's mostly been Japanese knotweed. The summer honey is usually quite light colored and the knotweed is dark so we try to keep them separate. (Some customers prefer light, some prefer dark).

Of course, all the heavy rain we have been having adds another variable. I am so glad I am not doing this for a living, I don't think I could manage with the uncertainty of it all. I have great admiration for large scale producers who have learned how to play the long game.

PLB