From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:15:37 -0400
> I’m not sure I see the freezing.

I'm not seeing any in those video clips either.

I think we need more volume - as guitarist Nigel Tufnel famously said, "these go up to 11".

Back in the 1990s, I visited Wyatt Mangum (Mary Washington U), who has written several books on top-bar beekeeping, and persists in writing for the magazines, and did/does quite a bit of very elegant research with a dozen or so single-comb observation hives, all installed in a shed that is dedicated to the housing of and work with these ob-hives.

We got excellent freeze-resume reactions from the bees that were nearest a little 3-inch speaker salvaged from a dead transistor radio, but we got much better response from a 1-inch piezo transducer that we taped to the top bar with duct tape, as all the ob hives were top-bar ob-hives, and Wyatt's constant work with them meant that he was lifting off the glass covers, and often removing each single comb, and flipping the combs around, so there was no bridge comb, and the entire comb vibrated with the top bar.

I had a mixed-down recording of mated queen piping, from which I had removed all background sounds.  It was essentially nothing but the "sawtooth" wave of the pure "clarinet tone" of the queen piping.  There are lots of free audio processing programs to do this, if one wants to use an "authentic recording" (you want to make a "narrow bandbass filter").

But you don't need authentic - you just need the right fundamental tone and overtones. These days, everything is in apps, so far easier - on android, one can download "Frequency and Sweep Generator", select the sawtooth wave (2nd from the right of the waveform choices -  from left to right  you have [volume], [sine], [square], [sawtooth], [triangle], [stereo volume] )

Set the frequency to 414 Hz to 417 Hz or so, and make your own queen piping, using your phone speaker, and hitting the button like a piano key.

I am typing up these instructions so that others can see for themselves.

If I just posted a video, I would be heckled and accused of some sort of shenanigans by my usual critics.  But this  purely audio, non-smoke calming of bees has been a Fischer Alchemy "product" since the early 2000s, dubbed "meditational bee calming", part of our "Institute of Wellness and Holistic Apiary Therapy (I-WHAT?)" catalog, offered to those beekeepers who wish to take up "Natural Beekeeping".

See https://bee-quick.com/rpt2/index.html