From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2024 15:02:44 -0400
I am confused about what we are supposed to "take issue with" here, given that no regulation or law was cited. There is only the unsupported assumption that carrying a queen in one's pocket from the USA would violate some reg or law in Jamacia or Spain.

I am unaware of any law or regulation that prohibits or limits in any way the import of queen bees into either Spain of Jamacia from the USA.  I've done my homework, and there do not seem to be any controls at all. As a tax-paying, land-owning, beekeeping, part-time resident of both countries, it seems that I am well within my rights to transport items under a certain value with no paperwork at all, and neither country requires any declaration about agricultural goods.

I am very much aware that the USA does have regulations, so my imports go one way.  I don't even bring back honey when returning to the USA.  "Coals to Newcastle" - I've got some honey back in the USA.

Thus, the "stand" taken that I stand accused of "belittling" was not a "moral" one, but instead yet another stand in knee-jerk opposition for no other reason than to oppose.  (But "Guilty As Charged" for the belittling of a 100% fact-free claim made.)

So, how I pack for international travel seems to be the only subject open to critique, and subtlety is very much the best policy, as one might find that one's fellow passenger across the aisle has an irrational fear of bees.   Clearly bees would have to be hand-carried somehow, I am open to suggestions.

Taking an extreme posture that bringing a queen or 3 to requeen my own hives is the equivalent of honey laundering is just a bit over the top.  As I said, AHPIS needs to step up their game, and we don't even know if their sniffer dogs might be able to detect bees in any quantity.