Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2024 12:26:19 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
> Historically, some Ukrainian beekeepers in the U.S. have surreptitiously brought over queens from their home country.  

Let's not single out Ukrainians here, as they face more than enough problems already.  Everyone has done it.  The Canadian border is a sieve, and a brisk business is done at every Apimondia swapping and selling living souvenirs. 

I'll even admit it myself - I regularly take Strachan NWCs to requeen hives in both Jamacia and the Canary Islands.  Jamacia couldn’t care less, I just can't find anyone to tell me about the correct import process or paperwork.  Spain is likely far more draconian, but I do not like the stock available to Spanish beekeepers, and NWCs rock from NYC to Dakar, as I also sell some of my locally-mated queens to a fellow from Senegal.

I do give them a chance though, the queens are transported  modified Sharpie magic markers, correctly and properly relabeled as a "Sharpbee" in the same distinctive script.

> We need to spread the word that this practice must cease!

Then we should ask USDA APHIS why their detector dogs at the airports can't sniff out a queen bee.  The dogs are their only practical method of finding agricultural items in luggage (and I assume on the persons of travelers).

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2