From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2023 13:11:53 -0500
>I would like to be informed.

Me too. I am only asking questions here, not claiming that I have knowledge or facts.

What percent of a persons caloric intake (eating) of sugars in all their forms will determine the alleged health benefit of even the purest honey. If a person puts a spoonful of honey in their tea or on a muffin and then eats a fast food lunch and ice cream desert will that honey have any measurable health benefit? Do we have real science based evidence of health benefit from the "average" personal consumption of honey? The number kicked around is 1.2 pounds but that is only production divided by population, a pretty weak estimate.

"The average American adult, teenager, and child consumes about 17 teaspoons of added sugar a day, or about 270 calories. [1] While we sometimes add sugar or sweeteners like honey to food or beverages, most added sugar comes from processed and prepared foods."
Added Sugar | The Nutrition Source
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

I am not in any way defending adulteration or fraud but only asking is adulteration a health hazard or just the usual financial scam. Are we in the honey industry any different then the over the counter drug people that claim that their product will make you healthier, happier, sexier and generally a better person then the other bums on the street? I produce and sell real pure honey. I sometimes heat it above 100F (not over 120) to reliquify or aid in processing. I strain out the bee parts, bits of wax, and the occasional earwig. I let it settle for a couple of days to make it clear and attractive.  I work to provide varietals. Customers come back for more year after year. They buy it as gifts for their friends, I don't make any health claims. Repeat customers don't tell us how much healthier they are but how damn good this honey tastes. I think that that is enough. When pressed about health claims I say with a smile that we sell only 100% genuine placebos, no fakes or additives guaranteed.

Paul