From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:20:22 -0400
This is in fact an interesting discussion ,at least to me. Aside from the continuous battle of the egos, a topic perhaps for some psychological field of experts, we often find a kernel of observational difference that could lead to better understanding of "what we know".

I was surprised that there is a difference of opinion as to whether or not drones get escorted to the door or in the vernacular given the bums rush come late summer. I have seen this behavior so often that I put it down to a simple calendar event of early fall. I find it difficult to believe that the drones are simply aging out at the same time given their much different actual ages. I have also observed a much larger population of drones in a colony post swarm as mentioned. Only this spring when trying to determine which colony issued a caught swarm I looked in several suspects and saw only the usual reduced population and queen cells. Less than a week later one colony was noticably full of drones, many more than I believe could have emerged in that time and the colony did not yet have a laying queen. I have also often observed way more then normal drone numbers in queenless nucs.

Don't know what if anything it means but an actual observation. Brings me back to the question of are you going to believe your eyes or expert opinion.

Paul
Eastern WA.