From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2024 10:35:46 -0400
>  Is it declining or increasing?

The study tends to imply "about the same".

1) The study said: "On a nationwide scale, the AFB resistance to tetracycline (38%) was significantly (pā€‰<ā€‰0.001) higher than the resistance to tylosin (27%)."

As Tylosin has only been approved for bees since 2005 (Thanks, Mark Feldlaufer!), and tetracycline has been used for AFB for decades, comparing the resistance levels to the two antibiotics gives us a good comparison, as Tylosin could have only been used since 2005 or so.  Clearly, we have not seen a significant drop-off in cases of AFB since 2005, which tends to contradict the generalized assumption that varroa was taking out neglected or mismanaged hives before AFB could get a foothold.

2) The "nationwide average" does not seem to be skewed by larger western-based operations.  Mapping the resistance level by state shows about the same hot spots in resistance for both.

So, it seems that AFB is "about the same".  EFB?   Likely also "about the same", but antibiotics won't help to illustrate.

Among my own cohort of City beekeepers, we haven't had any AFB cases, save for a few introduced in nucs bought from upstate suppliers, but my students who have persisted in beekeeping to become my colleagues are the exception, as they are exceptional.