From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2023 04:19:13 +0000
>There is certainly no "one size fits all" solution.

There certainly have been a lot of twists and turns to the discussion.

Coming back to Mr. Mitchell's fundamental premise- I am unaware of any research that suggests his model of increasing cluster density representing increasing mantle conductivity is flawed.

And while I gladly accept that there are many (often competing) priorities in beekeeping depending on the context, I am unaware of any studies that have shown a net benefit of uninsulated cavities versus insulated in controlled studies when comparing the typical metrics of survival rate, winter stores consumption, brood area, etc.

Certainly, the question of economics and convenience factors into the discussion as to whether insulating (and to what level) makes sense in our individual situations- but to my mind, the question under consideration at present is whether and to what extent tight clustering confers a net benefit to the colony when compared to the alternative in overwintering conditions in temperate climates.

It appears the answer to this question will be found in comparing overwintering results in controlled studies and field trials assessing uninsulated cavities versus insulated cavities.