From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:10:51 -0600
>I maintain the level of "churn" observed in apiaries starting and blinking out is similar to the "churn" you see in Treatment Free hobby beekeeping in North America.

In this conversation I am oft reminded of William Gladstone who deadpanned, 'Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument.'

The presentation in question was not dealing with Dr. Pettis' research on Isle de Groix but rather a high-level discussion comparing and contrasting various bee management approaches depending upon the goals and needs of the beekeeper, touching on everything from migratory beekeeping to 'black box' bee breeding and about everything in between.

From my very humble POV, the take-home message was there are a lot of different ways to successfully keep bees depending upon one's goals and environment.

For those curious about Dr. Pettis' work on Isle de Groix, there was a National Honey Show video presentation posted early in the year outlining this work (from about the 20 minute to 35 minute mark):

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96h9CBSA14E&t=1238s

The research itself has not yet been published, but here is the study homepage and an article by the sponsor (Pollinis) quoting Dr. Pettis' overarching thoughts of his study:

https://www.pollinis.org/nos-projets/proteger-les-abeilles/etude-pollinis-avec-jeff-pettis-sur-les-abeilles-de-groix-et-le-varroa/
https://www.pollinis.org/publications/groix-une-etude-explique-la-coexistence-entre-les-abeilles-et-le-varroa/